House of Commons Commission decisions – 14 September 2020
21 September 2020
- The Speaker, in the Chair
- Jacob Rees-Mogg
- Valerie Vaz
- Sir Charles Walker
- Dame Rosie Winterton
- Pete Wishart
- Dr John Benger (Clerk of the House)
- Ian Ailles (Director General)
- Jane McCall (External member)
- Dr Rima Makarem (External member)
1. Reports and updates
A. TUS and Members’ staff update
B. Written updates from the Domestic Committees
C. Director General’s update
D. Covid-19 update
The Commission noted the updates.
2. Options to consider for savings and efficiencies
- Noted the progress made in finding in-year savings to minimise the need for a capital to resource transfer; and
- Advised the Finance Director on potential areas for savings in future years.
3. R&R Strategic Review update
- Noted the initial findings of the R&R Strategic Review and the outcome of stakeholder engagement;
- Noted the anticipated timeline for completion of the Review;
- Agreed that Richmond House would be used as accommodation for Members, and to create better welfare facilities for House staff, in order to ensure the decant of Norman Shaw North in summer 2021; and
- Agreed to continue to work closely with the Sponsor Body through the Strategic Review to achieve mutually consistent outcomes.
4. Commons nominations to the R&R Estimates Commission
Commissioners agreed to nominate Dame Eleanor Laing MP and Lilian Greenwood MP as the Commons members of the R&R Estimates Commission.
5. ICGS 18-month review: terms of reference and reviewer appointment
The Commission had an initial discussion on the draft terms of reference for the review and the appointment of the independent reviewer; and, owing to a lack of time in the meeting, agreed to defer this item to a future meeting.
6. Papers to note:
The Commission/MEC took note of the following papers:
- Letter from Ken Gall re access to the Estate of a Member, and Mr Speaker’s response
- R&R Sponsor Body Q1 Report
- Draft Forward Programme
- Deliberations from Monday 20 July
7. Any other business
8. Date of next meeting
The next meeting of the Commission/MEC will take place on Monday 12 October at 10.00 am in Speaker’s Study and via Microsoft Teams.
Image Parliamentary copyright