House of Commons Commission decisions – 9 March 2020
12 March 2020
- The Speaker, in the Chair
- Jacob Rees-Mogg
- Valerie Vaz
- Dame Rosie Winterton
- Pete Wishart
- Dr John Benger (Clerk of the House)
- Ian Ailles (Director General)
- Jane McCall (External member)
- Dr Rima Makarem (External member)
- Sir Paul Beresford
1. Parliament's response to Covid-19: Oral briefing
The Commissions received a verbal update on the House Services' preparations in response to Covid-19, and from Public Health England.
Following the meetings the Commissions agreed to issue a joint statement.
2. Phase 1 Expenditure Limit, Estimate for 2020–21 and NEP Outline Business Case Transfer: Briefing and informal discussion
The Commissions received a verbal update on the preparation of the Restoration and Renewal Programme Phase 1 Expenditure Limit, the Restoration and Renewal Sponsor Body's Estimate for 2020-21, and progress on the Northern Estate Programme.
3. Phase 1 Expenditure Limit, Estimate for 2020–21 and NEP Outline Business Case Transfer: formal decisions
- Agreed to further discuss the Restoration and Renewal Sponsor Body's Estimate for 2020–21 and the Phase 1 Expenditure Limit at its meeting on 23 March.
- Agreed the inclusion of £112 million relating to the Northern Estate Programme in the House of Commons Estimate for 2020–21 at this stage, subject to progress on the planning application for the Programme. Subject to the subsequent designation by the Commissions of NEP to the Sponsor Body and Delivery Authority, the unspent portion of the 2020–21 Estimate and overall OBC funding envelope would be transferred to the Sponsor Body.
4. Pay remit
The Commission agreed the pay remit for 2020–21.
5. Take note papers
The Commission took note of the following papers:
- Shadow Sponsor Body quarterly report: Q3
- R&R Programme Delivery Team quarterly report: Q3
- Association of Former Members of Parliament Annual Report
- Elizabeth Tower follow-up points
- Letter to the Commissions re use of the QE2 Conference Centre
- Halal and Kosher food update
- Forward programme
- Deliberations from 3 February 2020
- Deliberations from 10 February 2020
6. Any other business
7. Date of next meeting
The next meeting of the Commission/MEC will take place on Monday 23 March at 10.00 am in Speaker's House.
Image copyright: CCO