Defence Committee to check the MoD’s progress on the duty of care of Service personnel in training, exercise and selection events
17 July 2020
This is the second follow-up session to the previous Defence Committee’s 2016 report, Beyond Endurance? Military Exercises and Duty of Care. An initial follow-up evidence session was held in November 2016.
- Watch the session on Parliament TV
- Inquiry: Military Exercises and the Duty of Care: Further Follow-Up
- Defence Committee
Purpose of the session
This evidence session will focus on what has been achieved since the Committees 2016 report, it will consider:
- whether the actions taken have addressed the concerns of the Committee;
- if lessons have been learnt;
- whether appropriate individual and corporate accountability structures have been established;
- if a culture of continual learning exists within the MoD and Armed Forces;
- whether the support provided to families is adequate; and
- if there is scope for further improvement.
The session will not consider individual cases.
Tuesday 21 July 2020, Committee Room 6
- Philip White, Director of Regulation, Health and Safety Executive
- Samantha Peace, Director of Field Operations, Health and Safety Executive
- Andrew Cayley, Director Service Prosecutions, Service Prosecuting Authority
- Baroness Annabel Goldie DL, Minister of State, Ministry of Defence
- Isabel Letwin CBE, Director, Ministry of Defence Legal Advisers
- Major General James Illingworth, Director of Land Warfare, Ministry of Defence
- Air Marshal Susan Gray CB OBE MSc CEng FIET FREng RAF, Director General of the Defence Safety Authority
Image: MOD/Crown Copyright 2017