Lords science committee launch open access inquiry with evidence session with Dame Janet Finch
11 January 2013
The House of Lords Science and Technology Committee will next week hold its first evidence session in a new short inquiry into the Government’s open access policy and its implementation by the Research Councils UK (RCUK) (the partnership of the UK’s seven research councils).
- Parliament TV: Open access (begins at 57:59mins of evidence session)
- Inquiry: Open access
- Science and Technology Committee
The Committee will hear evidence from Professor Dame Janet Finch, Chair of an independent working group set up by the Government to consider the best model for expanding access to published research findings. They will question her about the findings of her group and the working group’s process.
This short inquiry will consider:
- support for universities through funds to cover article processing charges;
- embargo periods for articles published under open access;
- engagement with publishers, universities learned societies and other stakeholders in developing the new open access policies; and
- how the Government should address the concerns raised by the scientific and publishing communities about the policy.
The evidence session with Dame Janet Finch will take place at 11:40am on Tuesday 15 January in Committee Room 4 of the House of Lords. The Committee will first hear evidence at 10.40am from Alistair Kent, Director Genetic Alliance UK, Dr Julian Braybrook, LGC Ltd and Dr Chris Bravery, Principle Consultant, Consulting on Advanced Biologicals Ltd as part of its regenerative medicine inquiry.
The Committee will hold one further day of evidence sessions in its inquiry into open access on Tuesday 29 January when they will hear evidence from a number of witnesses including David Willetts MP, Minister of State for Science Universities, and Professor Rick Rylance, Chair of Research Councils UK.
The Committee has issued a targeted call for evidence to key stakeholders for this short inquiry, any party interested in submitting written evidence should contact the Clerk to the Committee on firstname.lastname@example.org