European Union Committee draws special attention to three Brexit-related trade agreements
27 February 2019
The European Union Committee has published its fourth report on Brexit-related international agreements.
- Scrutiny of international agreements: treaties considered on 26 February 2019 (HTML)
- Scrutiny of international agreements: treaties considered on 26 February 2019 (PDF)
- Letter dated 25 February 2019 from Ivan McKee MSP, Minister for Trade, Investment and Innovation, Scottish Parliament ref scrutiny of Brexit-related international agreements
- Scrutiny of Brexit-related treaties
- European Union Committee
This report considers twelve international agreements, and for the first time the Committee has drawn three trade agreements to the special attention of the House.
The report raises several concerns to the Government, including the fact that some major EU trade agreements, including with Japan and South Korea, are unlikely to be rolled over by 29 March 2019. It also expressed, that greater consultation with the devolved administrations would be appropriate.
It expresses concern that the Government did not share the draft texts of roll over trade agreements with the devolved administrations prior to signature, noting that this is a “puzzling and potentially damaging approach” and that greater consultation with the devolved administrations would be appropriate.
It also examines the way in which free trade agreements can be modified and amended and asks the Government to state clearly the circumstances in which any future changes to these agreements would be subject to further parliamentary scrutiny.
The three agreements that have been brought to the special attention of the House are:
- Agreement establishing an Economic Partnership Agreement between the Eastern and Southern Africa States and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland [CP 31]
- Free Trade Agreement between the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the Kingdom of Denmark in respect of the Faroe Islands [CP 32]
- Agreement establishing an Association between the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the Republic of Chile [CP 35]
The nine agreements that are reported for information are:
- Agreement between the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America on the Mutual Recognition of certain distilled Spirits/Spirit Drinks [CP 34]
- Agreement between the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America on Trade in Wine [CP 36]
- Agreement on Port State Measures to Prevent, Deter and Eliminate Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated Fishing [CP 41]
- Agreement for the Establishment of the Indian Ocean Tuna Commission [CP 42]
- Convention on Future Multilateral Cooperation in North-East Atlantic Fisheries [CP 43]
- Convention for the Conservation of Salmon in the North Atlantic Ocean [CP 44]
- Agreement to Promote Compliance with International Conservation and Management Measures by Fishing Vessels on the High Seas [CP 45]
- International Convention for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas [CP 46]
- Convention on Cooperation in the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries [CP 47]
A short 'explainer' on the Lords EU Committee's scrutiny of treaties is available on our website.