Legal experts questioned on process of UK exit from European Union
3 March 2016
The European Union Select Committee meets legal experts to examine the process by which a Member State may withdraw from the European Union.
- Parliament TV: The process of leaving the EU
- Inquiry: The process of leaving the EU
- European Union Committee
Tuesday 8 March in Committee Room 4, Palace of Westminster
- Professor Derrick Wyatt, Emeritus Professor of Law, Oxford University, Brick Court Chambers
- Sir David Edward, former Judge of the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) and Professor Emeritus at the School of Law, University of Edinburgh
Possible areas of questioning include:
- Whether there are any means other than the process set out in Article 50 of the EU Treaty whereby a Member State could withdraw from the EU.
- Whether, after notifying the European Council but before the entry into force of the withdrawal agreement, the Member State concerned could rescind its decision to withdraw and remain within the EU.
- How long it would be likely to for the withdrawal negotiations to conclude.
- Whether the UK would still be able to participate in EU policies, instructions and agencies pending the entry into force of the withdrawal agreement.