EU Committee draws special attention to UK–Morocco agreement
5 February 2020
The European Union Committee has published its twentieth report on Brexit-related on Brexit-related international agreements.
- Report: Scrutiny of international agreements: treaties considered on 4 February 2020 (HTML)
- Report: Scrutiny of international agreements: treaties considered on 4 February 2020 (PDF)
- Scrutiny of Brexit-related treaties
- European Union Committee
This report considered two international agreements, of which one has been brought to the special attention of the House:
- Agreements establishing an Association between the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the Kingdom of Morocco
The Agreement incorporates a trade agreements and outlines a framework for political, economic, social and cultural cooperation. The agreement will only come into force once the existing EU–Morocco agreement ceases to apply to the UK at the end of 2020.
The agreement has been reported to the special attention of the House on the grounds of its political importance. In particular, the agreements replicates terms from the EU–Morocco agreement that relate to the disputed territory of Western Sahara – terms that are currently subject to legal challenge.
A further international agreement has been reported for information:
- Agreement establishing an Association between the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
A short 'explainer' on the Lords EU Committee scrutiny of treaties is available on our website:
Image: Parliamentary copyright