Committee to hear from Oliver Letwin and Supreme Court judges
8 July 2015
On Wednesday 8 July the House of Lords Constitution Committee will hold one-off evidence sessions with Cabinet Office Ministers Oliver Letwin MP and John Penrose MP as well as Lord Neuberger and Baroness Hale, President and Deputy President of the Supreme Court.
The evidence sessions will take place on Wednesday 8 July in Committee Room 1, Palace of Westminster.
- Oliver Letwin MP, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster
- John Penrose MP, Minister for Constitutional Reform
- Lord Neuberger of Abbotsbury, President, Supreme Court
- Baroness Hale, Deputy President, Supreme Court
The first session is expected to focus on:
- the Government's plans for constitutional reform in the new Parliament, including proposals for English Votes for English Laws in the House of Commons and the wider constitutional impact on the Union of further devolution
- Mr Letwin's responsibilities for coordinating constitutional reform
- arrangements in Government for overseeing and protecting the UK's constitution.
The second session is expected to cover:
- the work of the Supreme Court, including how the President intends to exercise his right to make written representations to Parliament
- the relationship between Parliament and the Supreme Court
- relations between the Supreme Court and the European Court of Human Rights and the Court of Justice of the European Union.
Image: Parliamentary copyright