Committee discusses co-production with Netflix
28 June 2019
The Communications Committee meets representatives from Netflix and ITV, including ITV's CEO Dame Carolyn McCall DBE, to discuss issues raised in its inquiry on the future of public service broadcasting in the age of video on demand.
- Parliament TV: Public service broadcasting in the age of video on demand
- Inquiry: Public service broadcasting in the age of video on demand
- Select Committee on Communications
Tuesday 2 July, Committee Room 2, Palace of Westminster
- Anne Mensah, Vice President of Original Series, Netflix
- Benjamin King, Director Public Policy UK, Netflix
- Dame Carolyn McCall DBE, Chief Executive Officer, ITV
- Kevin Lygo, Director of Television, ITV
- Magnus Brooke, Director of Policy and Regulatory Affairs, ITV
Possible lines of questioning
Topics for discussion with the Netflix witnesses include:
- Netflix’s role in the TV sector
- Supporting diversity of talent, both on and off screen, and regional productions
- The high-end TV tax relief.
Topics for discussion with the ITV witnesses include:
- ITV’s public service remit
- Diversity on screen and off
- ITV’s approach to co-producing programmes and trends in co-production
- Britbox, the proposed streaming service for BBC and ITV content.