Levelling-Up funds inquiry questions Metro Mayors, Welsh Government, and NI officials
8 December 2022
The Levelling Up, Housing and Communities (LUHC) Committee questions Tracy Brabin, Mayor of West Yorkshire, Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, and Andy Street, Mayor of the West Midlands for the Committee’s inquiry into Funding for Levelling-Up.
- Parliament TV: watch the session
- Inquiry: Funding for levellig up
- Levelling Up, Housing and Communities Committee
The Committee will then question Vaughan Gething, Minister for Economy, Welsh Government, and officials from Government Departments in Northern Ireland.
The Committee is examining the funds available for levelling-up and how effectively resources are directed to those areas most in need.
The cross-party group of MPs are expected to focus on questions concerning allocations and delivery of funding for levelling-up, the Levelling-Up Fund and UK Shared Prosperity Fund, metrics and data, and also broader topics of how to support local areas and regions, reduce inequalities, and ensure the success of the levelling-up agenda.
Publication of correspondence and written evidence
The Committee has today published 29 written evidence submissions for the levelling-up funds inquiry. Further evidence submissions will be published by the Committee at a later date.
The written evidence submissions have been received from a range of stakeholders, including councils - such as Richmondshire County Council, Tunbridge Wells Borough Council, Glasgow City Council, Somerset County Council, and Liverpool City Region Combined Authority – and organisations such as Coleraine Football Club, Historic England, and the Centre for Inequality and Levelling-Up.
The submissions cover a range of topics relating to levelling-up funds, including the challenges of competitive bidding, how Levelling Up projects are measured in terms of value for money and for their contribution to Levelling Up, and whether the Government’s approach to funding for levelling up achieve its objective of levelling up the country.
The Committee has also published today a letter from Clive Betts, Chair, to Dehenna Davison, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (Levelling Up) (dated 6th December) requesting a full analysis of all central government levelling up grants, by department and by local authority/combined authority area, and asks a series of questions in relation to the Government’s new ‘Spatial Data Unit’.
Evidence session - Levelling-Up funds inquiry, Monday 12 December, 16.00
- Tracy Brabin, Mayor of West Yorkshire
- Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester (giving evidence online)
- Andy Street, Mayor of the West Midlands (giving evidence online)
- Vaughan Gething, Minister for Economy, Welsh Government (online)
- Tony Simpson, Director of Strategic Policy & Reform, Department of Finance
- Maeve Hamilton, Head of EU Fund Management Division, Department for Economy
- Dominic McCullough, – Director European Union Division, Department of Finance
- Laura McDonald, Deputy Director, European Union Division, Department of Finance (all witnesses on third panel giving evidence online)
Image: Parliamentary copyright