Experts questioned on building safety progress
19 November 2021
The Housing Communities and Local Government Committee examines the progress made in implementing the recommendations of the 2018 Review of Building Regulations and Fire Safety, commissioned following the Grenfell disaster.
- Watch Parliament TV: Building Safety Update
- Inquiry: Building Safety Update
- Housing Communities and Local Government Committee
Monday 22 November 2021
- Dame Judith Hackitt, Chair of the Independent Review of Building Regulations and Fire Safety
- Sir Ken Knight, Chair of the Independent Expert Advisory Panel on building safety following the Grenfell Tower Fire
The cross-party group of MPs will question the Review’s author, Dame Judith Hackitt, and Sir Ken Knight, Chair of the Independent Expert Advisory Panel on building safety, on the implementation of the new building safety regime being created by the Building Safety Bill, and the remediation of historical building safety defects.
There are also likely to be questions concerning the scope of the new building safety regime, as determined by the definition of “higher-risk building”, and whether other factors should be included.
Questions are also expected to be asked about the July 2021 Independent Expert Statement on proportionately in relation to building safety in medium and low-rise blocks of flats, and whether lenders are still demanding EWS1 forms from those trying to sell their flats in buildings below 18 metres.