Progress on devolution in England: first session held
12 March 2020
- Watch on Parliament TV
- Inquiry: Progress on devolution in England
- Housing, Communities and Local Government Committee
Purpose of the session
The Committee will take evidence from academics on key issues relating to the development and performance of existing devolution deals, and the effectiveness of the Government's strategy for expansion.
The session will examine the effectiveness of current devolution deals in England, including the role of elected Mayors and the quality of scrutiny and the impact they have in their regions. It will also look at broader issues of how devolution deals can be designed to boost cities, towns and rural areas, and whether the current practice of bespoke deals is enabling change at the right rate.
Monday 16 March 2020, Wilson Room, Portcullis House
- Dr John Stanton, Senior Lecturer in Law, City, University of London
- Professor Francesca Gains, Professor of Public Policy, University of Manchester
- Professor Colin Copus, Emeritus Professor in Local Politics, De Montfort University