Leasehold reform examined by Committee
10 December 2018
The Housing, Communities and Local Government Committee takes evidence from social sector landlords, solicitor representatives and the Leasehold Advisory Service.
- Watch Parliament TV: Leasehold reform
- Inquiry: Leasehold reform
- Housing, Communities, and Local Government Committee
Purpose of the session
The first session with the National Housing Federation and representatives of Manchester and Brighton Councils, will explore current criticisms of the leasehold system, including the quality of management of leaseholds overseen by social housing providers.
In the second session, the Committee will question the Leasehold Advisory Service on the quality of support they provide, particularly to individuals who claim they have been mis-sold properties or subject to onerous ground rents.
The final session, will explore the role of solicitors in leasehold disputes and include representatives of the Conveyancing Association and the Law Society for England and Wales. It will examine how solicitors maintain their independence, especially in circumstances were they are reliant on repeat business from developers or cases where buyers receive discounts or rewards for using a preferred solicitor. The Committee will also look at the failures to highlight high ground rent to buyers and high costs charged for routine lease administration.
Monday 10 December 2018, Thatcher Room, Portcullis House
Panel 1 (Local Authorities and the Social Housing Sector)
- Larissa Reed, Executive Director for Neighbourhoods Communities & Housing, Brighton and Hove City Council
- Gillian Boyle, Strategic Development Directorate, Manchester City Council
- Amy Simmons, Head of Policy, National Housing Federation
Panel 2 (Leasehold Advisory Service)
- Anthony Essien, Chief Executive, Leasehold Advisory Service (LEASE)
Panel 3 (Solicitor representatives)
- Jonathan Smithers, former President of the Law Society of England & Wales, Law Society of England and Wales
- Beth Rudolph, Director of Delivery, Conveyancing Association