Grant Shapps questioned on Major transport infrastructure projects
2 July 2021
This is the third and final session in the Transport Committee’s inquiry on Major transport infrastructure projects: appraisal and delivery.
- Watch Parliament TV: Major transport infrastructure projects: appraisal and delivery
- Inquiry: Major transport infrastructure projects: appraisal and delivery
- Transport Committee
In Spring 2020 the Chancellor announced a further £5bn infrastructure investment to support economic regeneration after the coronavirus pandemic. The 2020 Spending Review and the National Infrastructure Strategy, published in November 2020, likewise committed billions of pounds of investment in transport infrastructure, particularly on road and rail projects.
Transport infrastructure currently dominates infrastructure construction, with around 57% of total output for 2019. The Department for Transport is thus a key Government Department in appraising, managing and delivering infrastructure projects.
Purpose of the session
In this session, Committee will be questioning the Department for Transport’s objectives and priorities to better understand what lessons can be learned and applied.
Likely subjects for discussion include:
- National Infrastructure Strategy
- Levelling up
- Rt Hon Grant Shapps MP, Secretary of State, Department for Transport
- Nick Joyce, Director General of Corporate Delivery, Department for Transport
Image: Creative Commons