Impact of coronavirus on UK transport: next steps
3 July 2020
- Transport Committee to next examine impacts of the pandemic on freight and maritime sector
- London Mayor to give evidence on July 22 on impact on transport in the capital
The Transport Committee's rolling programme of work on the impact of coronavirus on UK transport will next consider the freight and maritime sector. The Committee encourages written evidence from freight transport workers and stakeholders and members of the public to understand the impact on this sector.
The first oral evidence session will take place on 8 July with representatives from the Freight Transport Association, Rail Freight Group and Road Haulage Association on the first panel. Representatives from the Chamber of Shipping, British Ports Association and CLdN Shipping will appear on a second panel. The Committee will continue to explore this sector in September.
Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan
On 22 July, the Committee will hear from the London Mayor, Sadiq Khan, as MPs consider how priorities for transport in London are being reshaped by Covid-19.
Having heard from the metropolitan mayors of Liverpool, Greater Manchester and the West of England in June, the Committee turns its attention to London. While operational transport arrangements sit under the scrutiny of the London Assembly, the Committee will consider how the Mayor has worked with Government ministers to deal with the impact on the pandemic on transport in the capital, the affect of the pandemic on Transport for London's finances and the additional funding TfL has received from central Government.
The Committee's evidence sessions until the parliamentary recess are:
- Wednesday 8 July, Coronavirus: implications for freight and maritime. This first session will hear from representatives of the freight industry.
- Wednesday 15 July, the second and final session in the e-scooters inquiry will include e-scooter companies and the Government minister.
- Wednesday 22 July, Coronavirus: implications for local transport. This is a one-off session with the Mayor of London.