Pre-appointment hearing of Chair of the Civil Aviation Authority
1 June 2020
The Transport Committee hears from the Secretary of State's preferred candidate for the role of Chair of the Civil Aviation Authority, Sir Stephen Hillier DFC, CBE, former Head of the Royal Air Force, to assess his suitability for the role.
- Watch the Session on Parliament TV
- Pre-appointment hearing of Chair of the Civil Aviation Authority
- Transport Committee
Friday 5 June 2020, Virtual meeting
- Sir Stephen Hillier DFC, CBE
The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) is a public corporation which was established by Parliament in 1972 as an independent specialist aviation regulator. It aims to ensure that the aviation industry meets the highest safety standards and that consumers have choice and value for money, and are protected and treated fairly when they fly.
Focus of the session
This pre-appointment hearing provides the committee with an opportunity to:
- scrutinise the professional competence and personal independence of the candidate;
- identify any areas where the Committee might be concerned about the candidate's suitability; and
- come to a view on whether to support the Secretary of State's choice of preferred candidate
Image: Crown copyright