Evidence session: young and novice drivers
23 July 2020
This is the first evidence session of the Committee's relaunched inquiry into Young and novice drivers. Committee Members will hear from road safety campaigners, academics, and road safety charities.
Wednesday 2 September 2020
At 9.30am (in private—a transcript will be available afterwards):
- George Atkinson, Road safety campaigner
- Ian Greenwood, Road safety campaigner
At 10.15am (broadcast live online):
- Elizabeth Box, Head of Research, RAC Foundation
- Dr Neale Kinnear, Head of Behavioural Science, Transport Research Laboratory
- Mary Williams OBE, Chief Executive, Brake
Focus of the session
The session will explore:
- The human cost of collisions involving young and novice drivers; road safety campaigns, and the policy changes campaigners would like to see
- The reasons young and novice drivers are at a higher risk when it comes to road traffic collisions and casualties;
- Policy options and interventions which could reduce the risks to young and novice drivers;
- The results of research undertaken into these interventions; and
- The effects of the coronavirus pandemic on issues affecting young and novice drivers.
Please note that Parliament has stopped all non-essential visitor access to both Houses due to the circumstances around coronavirus. The second session, scheduled to start at 10.15 am, will be available to watch online, and a transcript for both sessions will be published on the website a few days afterwards.