MPs to examine Scottish labour market post-Brexit
11 November 2021
The Scottish Affairs Committee will be holding a one-off evidence session examining labour shortages in certain sectors in Scotland.
Tuesday 16 November 2021
- David Michie, Policy Manager for Crops, National Famers’ Union Scotland (NFUS)
- Martin Reid, Director of Scotland and Northern Ireland, Road Haulage Association
- Stephen Montgomery, Chair and Spokesperson, Scottish Hospitality Group
In recent months there have been reports of a UK-wide shortage of HGV drivers and agricultural workers as a result of covid-19 and the post-Brexit immigration system.
This has affected the supply of some goods, with particular concerns about food shortages in the run-up to Christmas. Immigration is reserved, and the UK Government has made clear that businesses should reduce their reliance on foreign labour.
Among the issues likely to be discussed are:
- The current immigration system, the Shortage Occupation List and temporary visas;
- How shortages of HGV drivers, seasonal agricultural labour and hospitality workers has affected Scotland;
- Whether the UK and Scottish governments are doing enough to help businesses access the labour they need.
Image: Pexels/John Cameron