Do City Region Deals and Growth Deals fulfil ‘levelling up’ ambition in Scotland?
2 September 2021
The Scottish Affairs Committee holds a one-off evidence session on the objectives, progress and delivery of City Region Deals and Growth Deals.
- Watch Parliament TV: City Region and Growth Deals
- Inquiry: City Region and Growth Deals
- Scottish Affairs Committee
Monday 6 September 2021
- Calum Iain MacIver, Director for Communities, Comhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council)
- Robin Presswood, Management Group Chair, Tay Cities
- Cllr Elaine Murray, Borderlands Growth Deal
- Cllr Glen Sanderson, Borderlands Growth Deal
- Kate Forbes MSP, Cabinet Secretary for Finance and the Economy, Scottish Government
- Lesley Jackson, City Region and Growth Deals Policy Manager, Scottish Government
- Iain Stewart MP, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State, Scotland Office, UK Government
- Kris Krasnowski, Deputy Director for Policy Delivery and Relationship Management, Scotland Office, UK Government
City Region and Growth Deals are funding packages agreed between the UK Government, Scottish Government and regional partners such as local authorities to deliver a 10-20 year programme of investment to support economic growth. Every part of Scotland is covered by either a City Region Deal or a Growth Deal. Scottish Government investment has so far totalled more than £1.9 billion and UK Government £1.5 billion.
Across three panels, the Committee will likely be exploring a number of issues including:
- How City Region Deals and Growth Deals fit into the UK Government’s levelling up strategy;
- How effectively councils and partners collaborate on the Deals;
- How effectively the Scottish and UK Governments work together;
- The impact covid-19 has had on programmes and projects;
- The Scottish Government’s evaluation of Deals;
- The UK Government’s plans for Deals.