Scottish fishing industry to give evidence on effect of Covid-19
3 September 2020
The Scottish Affairs Committee takes evidence from representatives of Scotland’s fishing and seafood industry as it continues to assess the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on Scotland.
- Watch Parliament TV: Coronavirus and Scotland
- Inquiry: Coronavirus and Scotland
- Scottish Affairs Committee
Thursday 3 September 2020, virtual meeting
- Elspeth Macdonald, CEO, Scottish Fishermen’s Federation
- Jimmy Buchan, Chief Executive, Scottish Seafood Association
- John Anderson, CEO, Scottish Fishermen’s Organisation
The industry has been hit by a drop in demand as a result of the closure of restaurants and much of the hospitality sector during lockdown. In 2018, Scottish vessels accounted for more than half the UK’s income in fishing.
The Committee is also expected to explore:
- the industry outlook in the event of a second lockdown;
- the Fisheries Bill, currently being scrutinised in Parliament; and
- future prospects for the industry and what priorities should be in trade negotiations with the EU on fisheries.