Committee to look at creative industries in Scotland
17 July 2015
The Scottish Affairs Committee launches an inquiry into the creative industries in Scotland.
The Committee will look at the contribution of the creative industries in Scotland to employment and the economy, and consider how UK policy—in areas such as tax reliefs and intellectual property rights—affects these industries.
Pete Wishart MP, Chair of the Committee, stated:
"The creative industries in Scotland have a proud history, and are also extremely important to the Scottish and UK economies in the present day, employing tens of thousands of people and contributing billions of pounds to the economy.
The Scottish Government has designated the creative industries as one of the key growth sectors in Scotland, but there is also a need to consider the UK-wide context for the creative industries in Scotland. We want to examine how the policies of the UK Government affect these industries and how they could better support the creative industries in Scotland.
The Committee will be looking at policies around intellectual property rights and tax reliefs, as well as how the Scottish creative industries are marketed at home and abroad. We also want to hear from industry representatives and the local communities where these industries are based."
Scope of the inquiry
The Committee has invited evidence on the following issues:
- What is the footprint and economic value of the creative industries in Scotland?
(a) How does this compare to the UK as a whole?
- How do the creative industries in Scotland differ to the creative industries in the UK as a whole?
- How effectively do the UK, Scottish and local governments work together to promote the creative industries of Scotland at home and abroad?
- What are the barriers to the growth of the creative industries in Scotland, and how can these be overcome?
(a) What, if any, changes need to be made to enable the creative industries to capitalise on their Intellectual Property?
- What can the UK Government do to create an environment which encourages growth in the creative industries in Scotland?
- How could the system of tax reliefs for the creative industries better encourage growth of these industries in Scotland?
(a) What, if any, tailored support is needed for the creative industries in Scotland?
How to get involved
Send written submissions via the form available on our inquiry page. The deadline for written submissions is Friday 30 October.
You can also contribute to the debate on