Immigration Minister questioned on post-study work schemes for Scotland
9 December 2015
- Watch Parliament TV: Post study work schemes
- Inquiry: Post study work schemes
- Scottish Affairs Committee
Wednesday 9 December 2015, Committee Room 18, Palace of Westminster
At 2.15pm – Panel 1: Academic and solicitors
- Professor Robert Wright, Professor of Economics, Strathclyde University
- Stuart McWilliams, Associate, Immigration Team, Morton Fraser LLP, and Deputy Convener of the Law Society of Scotland's Immigration and Asylum Law Sub-Committee
- Jamie Kerr, Partner, Immigration Law, Thorntons Solicitors, and Convenor of the Immigration Law Practitioners' Association's Scottish Regional Working Group
At 3.15pm – Panel 2: UK Government
- Rt Hon James Brokenshire MP, Minister for Immigration, Home Office
Committee chair, Pete Wishart, said:
"So far in our inquiry we have seen almost unprecedented cross-sector support for the introduction of some form of post-study work programme for international students in Scotland. Representatives from the Scottish government, industry and trade unions have all explained how it would benefit them.
This session will help us to drill down to the nuts and bolts of the issue, to understand how such a system could operate. We are looking forward to hearing from Rt Hon James Brokenshire MP, Minister for Immigration at the Home Office, to hear his reaction to such widespread support and get an update on cross-government talks on the issue."
Video: Parliamentary copyright