Experience of minority ethnic and migrant people in Northern Ireland inquiry launched
19 April 2021
Ahead of the results of the 2021 census a new inquiry by the Northern Ireland Affairs Committee examines the experience of minority ethnic and migrant people in Northern Ireland.
- Inquiry: The experience of minority ethnic and migrant people in Northern Ireland
- Northern Ireland Affairs Committee
At the last census in 2011, minority ethnic groups comprised 1.8% (32,400) of the NI population, while people born in countries that joined the EU from 2004 accounted for a further 2% (35,700) of residents.
The Committee is calling on these people, their representative and support groups, charities and companies with a significant minority ethnic and/or migrant workforce to submit evidence to the inquiry.
MPs will also look into the economic and health outcomes for first and second-generation migrant and ethnic minority people.
Chairman of the Northern Ireland Affairs Committee Simon Hoare said,
“The voices of minority ethnic and migrant people have often been overlooked in Northern Ireland. Our inquiry will enable people to voice their experiences and the Committee to assess the challenges they face, with the aim of making policy recommendations that improve the health, wellbeing and economic prospects of this growing proportion of the Northern Ireland population. My colleagues and I want to ensure that Northern Ireland’s story is fully inclusive, no matter what your background or where you come from.”
Submitting evidence and terms of reference
Submissions on any or all of the points below can be submitted here by 21 May 2021.
- experiences of minority ethnic and migrant people living in Northern Ireland.
- challenges that minority ethnic and migrant people face in Northern Ireland
- steps the UK Government can take to help ensure effective racial equality legislation in Northern Ireland
- health and economic outcomes of minority ethnic and migrant people in Northern Ireland, and the steps the UK Government can take to help improve them
- successful initiatives and programmes to encourage cultural exchange and diversity among people in Northern Ireland
- experiences of applying for the EU Settlement Scheme