Joint Committee takes evidence for the inquiry into biosecurity and national security
7 September 2020
The Joint Committee on the National Security Strategy holds first evidence session for the inquiry into Biosecurity and national security.
- Watch Parliament TV: Biosecurity and national security
- Inquiry: Biosecurity and national security
- Joint Committee on the National Security Strategy
Monday 7 September - remote participation by witnesses and Committee members
- Dr Jennifer Cole, Research Fellow, Royal Holloway University of London
- Dr Patricia Lewis, Director, International Security Programme, Chatham House
- Professor John Simpson, Medical Director in Emergency Preparedness, Resilience and Response, Public Health England
Purpose of the session
The Committee will examine how the UK can respond to biosecurity emergencies that threaten human health. Amongst other things, it will consider the UK Government’s risk assessments and preparations for a disease outbreak like COVID-19, and the overall resilience of the local and national systems needed to respond.