Skip to main content

Call for Evidence

Rural mental health

Important information about making a submission:

You don’t need to answer all of the questions below, and you can tell us anything relevant, even if it isn’t covered by these questions. Guidance on giving evidence to a select committee of the House of Commons is available here.

The Committee is interested in gathering evidence on the following topics:

  • What specific mental health challenges are faced by those living and working in rural communities?
  • What is the current state of mental health & suicide prevention service provision for those working in agriculture and those living in rural areas more generally? Do they meet the specific needs of that community?
  • What are the causes of the higher than average rate of suicide amongst those working in agriculture? Are there other linked professions, such as vets, that have similar issues? How effective are suicide prevention services offered to these groups?
  • Is sufficient mental health support made available to rural communities following “shocks” such as flooding or mass animal culls?
  • Does the Government’s recent investment in mental health services adequately provide for agricultural mental health?
  • How joined up are key actors, such as Defra, DHSC, NHS England, Public Health England and Local Government in their approach to improving quality of, and access to, mental health service in rural and agricultural communities?

The Committee will consider all the evidence it receives and normally publish all its evidence online where it will be available permanently for anyone to view. Please consider carefully how much personal information you need to share. If you include personal information about other people in your submission, the Committee may decide not to publish it. Your contact details will never be published.

The Committee can also accept your submission anonymously (meaning it will be published but without your name), or confidentially (meaning it won't be published at all). If you would like us to treat your evidence in that way please say so at the start of your evidence and tell us why. The final decision on whether to publish your evidence will be taken by the Committee.

If your evidence raises any safeguarding concerns about you or other people, then the Committee has a duty to raise these with the appropriate safeguarding authority.

Where to get help

We understand that the issues raised in this work may be sensitive or upsetting and the following organisations may be able to offer support or further information: 

Samaritans – General support for everyone.

Call 116 123 - 24 hours a day, every day 


Mind – for information, advice, and support for anyone experiencing a mental health problem. Call: 0300 123 3393.

Citizens Advice - For independent, free advice provided by a network of charities online, over the phone and in person on a wide variety of issues including benefits, work, debt, housing, family and immigration.

Adviceline is available 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Adviceline (England): 0800 144 8848


This call for written evidence has now closed.

Go back to Rural mental health Inquiry