Call for evidence
Terms of Reference
The Committee is inviting submissions on the following points:
New homes: the Future Homes Standard and Future Buildings Standards
- Do the government’s proposals for improving the energy efficiency of new homes by 2025 go far enough?
- The government has acknowledged the need to clarify the role of local planning authorities in setting energy efficiency requirements for new homes that go beyond the minimum standards. What role should LPAs play in determining local energy efficiency standards?
- Is the government right to anticipate that heat pumps will become the primary heating technology for new homes?
- Will the proposals address the performance gap between design intent and build quality of new homes?
- Is the government right to introduce revised transitional arrangements? In addition, the Committee seeks evidence on any other issues relating to either the Future Homes Standard or the Future Buildings Standards.
The Committee also seeks evidence on plans for improving the energy efficiency of the existing housing stock, including:
- Local authorities’ progress towards reducing or eliminating the carbon footprint of their own building estate.
- The role of local authorities in improving the energy efficiency of non-council building stock, including through take-up of the Local Authority Delivery scheme and the setting and enforcing of energy efficiency standards.
- The role of local authorities in encouraging and enabling private owners to reduce or eliminate their carbon emissions, including through the development of loan schemes similar to the green deal and the delivery of existing grants, such as the Disabled Facilities Grant and Housing Renewal Assistance.
- The role of MHCLG in making the existing housing stock more energy efficient, including through its review of the Decent Homes Standard.
Local government’s path to net zero
The Committee also seeks submissions on how else local government help the UK achieve “net zero” emissions by 2050, particularly in relation to improved and decarbonised public transport, waste management and decarbonising the electricity grid.
We want our inquiries to be informed by a diverse range of voices. Our committee team are happy to help if you require a reasonable adjustment, such as an extension to the deadline, or submitting evidence in an alternative format: please get in touch at email@example.com or 020 7219 5364.
Please note: The Housing, Communities and Local Government Committee examines policy issues relating to the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government and its associated bodies. It is unable to investigate, or adjudicate on, individual cases. While you may request anonymity or confidentiality, we can’t guarantee this will happen as the Committee has the power to decide. Requests will be granted if there is a likelihood of adverse effects on family or others.
This call for written evidence has now closed.Go back to Local government and the path to net zero Inquiry