Call for evidence
Future of Financial Services
- How can the UK financial services sector take advantage of the UK’s new trading environment with the rest of the world?
- What changes should be made to the UK’s financial services regulations and regulatory framework once the UK is independent of the European Union?
- What should the Government’s financial services priorities be when it negotiates trade agreements with third countries?
- Should the UK open its financial services markets to external competition from countries outside of Europe, or should the UK maintain the current regulatory barriers that apply to third countries?
- What skills and immigration policy will the UK financial services sector need once the UK has left the European Union?
- How can Government policy and the UK regulators facilitate the emergence of FinTech and new competition; develop new areas of growth for the financial services sector; and promote the UK as the best place to incubate new financial technologies and firms?
- Through what legislative mechanism should new financial regulations be made?
- What role does Parliament have to play in influencing new financial services regulations?
- How should new UK financial regulations be scrutinised?
- What progress has the Government and regulators made in facilitating key financial services equivalence agreements with third countries; and would an alternative mechanism serve the interests of the UK market better?
- How should financial services regulators be funded?
- Should the mandate and statutory objectives of the financial services regulators change to include wider public policy issues?
- How important is the independence of regulators and how might this best be protected?
- How can the balance between lighter touch regulation and prudential safeguards be best secured?
- How should consumer interests be taken into account when considering potential regulatory changes?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of the European Union model of scrutinising financial services legislation?
- Should the UK seek to replicate the EU’s model for drafting and scrutinising financial services regulation?