Call for Evidence
While the hearing will consider the issue of the smuggling of puppies, kittens and other companion animals – further to its 2019 inquiry which was prematurely curtailed by the General Election – the Committee may also look at a broader range of topics including:
- the extent of the problem of puppy, kitten and other companion animal smuggling; and Government statistics on this issue (including their accuracy and timeliness);
- the latest on smuggling, including the impact of COVID-19 on supply and demand, and the effectiveness of enforcement;
- the impact of recent measures including Lucy’s Law and the “Petfished” campaign, and what other measures should be taken;
- the end of the Brexit transition period and the impact on pet travel requirements, plus the situation regarding the NI Protocol and also GB’s involvement in the EU’s PETS scheme;
- COVID-19 and the impact on the companion animal welfare sector including the finances and demand for services of the charitable sector, and Government support.
This call for written evidence has now closed.Go back to Pet Smuggling Inquiry